Arpan Banerjee is Assistant Professor, Assistant Dean and Executive Director of the Centre for Intellectual Property & Technology Law at Jindal Global Law School. Arpan’s main areas of interest are IP law (focusing on copyright and trade mark law), media law and entertainment law. He has published and spoken widely, and received prestigious international fellowships and awards. Most recently, Arpan was awarded the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation German Chancellor’s Fellowship, spanning a 1.5-year period. He was hosted by Bucerius Law School, with research stays at the Oxford University IP Research Centre and King’s College. Arpan is an affiliated faculty member at the Centre for Intellectual Property Research at the Maurer School of Law, Indiana University Bloomington, a lecturer at the Bucerius-UC Hastings-WIPO Summer School in International IP Transactions, and an Associate Fellow at the University of Westminster Centre for Law, Society and Popular Culture. Prior to joining Jindal, Arpan taught at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur as an Assistant Professor (promoted to tenure-track). Before joining academia, Arpan practised as an IP lawyer. He worked on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious matters, advising clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to small enterprises.
- ‘Goodwill in Passing Off Actions: What Should a ‘Balancing Exercise’ Look Like?’, IP Scholarship Redux Conference, Franklin Pierce Centre for IP, University of New Hampshire, 6-7 April 2018
- ‘Website Blocking Mechanisms in India’, 2nd JGLS-SMU-Renmin Conference on IP Law in China and India, Renmin University, Beijing, 18-19 December 2017
- ‘Goodwill in Passing Off Actions: What Should a ‘Balancing Exercise’ Look Like?’, IP Scholarship Redux Conference, Franklin Pierce Centre for IP, University of New Hampshire, 6-7 April 2018‘Restraints on the Use of Brands in Films’, INTA Trade Mark Scholarship Symposium, 139th INTA Annual Meeting, Barcelona, 23 May, 2017.
‘Website Blocking Mechanisms in India’, 2nd JGLS-SMU-Renmin Conference on IP Law in China and India, Renmin University, Beijing, 18-19 December 2017
‘Incrementalism and IP Reforms in India’, 36th ATRIP Congress, Victoria University, Wellington, 23-26 October 2017.
- ‘Reforming IP Education in India’, 1st WIPO-WTO Colloquium for IP Teachers and Researchers in Asia, Singapore Management University, 20-22 February, 2017.
- ‘Reflections on India’s National IPR Policy’, 2nd IP Scholars Asia Works-in-Progress Conference, Singapore Management University, 23-24 February, 2017..
- ‘IP and the Humanities’, IP Research Methodologies Workshop, Singapore Management University, 25 February, 2017.
- ‘Film Censorship in India’, 9th Stanford-Penn International Junior Faculty Forum, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 11-12 November, 2016.
- ‘Copyright and Fair Dealing in the Education Sector’, UPenn-NUS-HKU Conference on Limitations & Expectations in Copyright Law, 21-22 July, 2016, National University of Singapore.
- ‘Intellectual Property Scholarship and the New Legal Realism Movement’, 35th ATRIP Congress, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, 26-29 July, 2016.
- ‘Delhi Belly: Curbing the Appetite for Forum Shopping in India’, 1st IP Scholars Asia Works-in-Progress Conference, Singapore Management University, 28-29 January, 2016.
- ‘Copyright and Cross-Cultural Borrowing’, 4th Global IP Congress, NLU Delhi, 15-17 December, 2015.
- ‘Intellectual Property Scholarship and the New Legal Realism Movement’, Annual CMCL Media & IP Conference, University of Melbourne Law School, 23-24 November, 2015.
- ‘Copyright and Cultural Appropriation in Art’, Annual Harvard Law School Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP) Conference, Harvard Law School, 1-2 June, 2015.
- ‘Damages in IP Infringement Cases in India’, Conference on ‘IP in Singapore and Beyond’, Singapore Management University, 25-26 May, 2015.
- ‘Copyright Piracy and the Indian Film Industry’, 6th Harvard Law School Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP) Writing Workshop, Doha, 2–11 January 2015, and 1st King’s College London Transnational Law Summer Institute (TLSI) Writing Workshop, 28 June – 10 July, 2015.
- ‘Forum Shopping in IP Infringement Cases in India’, 33rd ATRIP Congress, University of Montpellier, 6-9 July, 2014.
- ‘Internet Censorship in India’, 1st Law Schools Global League Conference, Koç University, Istanbul, 15-18 July, 2014.
- ‘East-West Encounters in Popular Music: Legal Implications’, Indiana University Bloomington Conference on ‘Leveraging Creativity and IP’, Indianapolis, 15-16 May, 2014.
- ‘The Indian Film Industry’s Battle Against Piracy’, 10th WIPO-WTO Colloquium for IP Teachers and Researchers, 17-28 June, 2013, Geneva.
- ‘Film Censorship in India’, Institut für Asien und Afrikawissenschaften, Humboldt University, Berlin, 22 June, 2017.
- ‘Cross-Border Copyright Litigation and the Indian Film Industry’, University of Glasgow, 6 June, 2017.
- ‘Comparative Advertising: Indian and English Law Compared’, Sheffield University Institute of Corporate and Commercial Law Seminar Series, University of Sheffield, 10 May, 2017.
- ‘The Judicial Expansion of Trade Mark Tarnishment in India’, Oxford IP Centre Invited Speaker Series, St Peter’s College, Oxford University, 27 April, 2017.
- ‘Bollywood and the Law’, DLA Piper-Bucerius Young IP Scholars Lecture Series, Bucerius Law School, 29 Nov, 2016.
- Panelist, JGLS National Roundtable on Film Piracy, JGLS, 30 July, 2016.
- Panelist, 2nd King’s College London Transnational Law Summer Institute (TLSI) Workshop, 21 June – 30 June, 2016.
- Speaker, Anand & Anand Brand Awareness Training Seminar, New Delhi, 6 April, 2016.
- Speaker, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Conference on IP Adjudication, Maharashtra Judicial Academy, Bombay, 5 February, 2016.
- Panelist, Anand & Anand Conference on Competition Law, New Delhi, 4 February, 2016.
- Speaker, Indian Reprographic Rights Organisation Seminar on Copyright Licensing, New Delhi, 16 February, 2015.
- Panelist, 4th Annual IP Teaching Workshop (NLU Delhi and University of Washington School of Law, Seattle), New Delhi, 14 February, 2015.
- Speaker, Anand & Anand Seminar on Counterfeiting and Piracy, New Delhi, 31 October, 2014.